Saturday, April 4, 2009

Harlem, Central Park Concert

Below I have posted five parts of a live performance at a Central Park festival from 1968. Following the videos I have posted a review of the concert from the New York Times, July 8, 1968 as well as an article published later that references the Central Park concert (I believe it is referencing the same concert) that will be of interest mainly because of the writers assertion: "We like her better when she leaves politics alone." I'm not sure who the 'we' is, but I can guess. The funny thing about the assertion, and from what I have learned about Simone, is that if she 'left politics alone' there wouldn't be a Nina Simone.





The first song of the day is "Four Women."














Sources

Robert Shelton. "Nina Simone Sings for 5,000 in Park" in The New York Times (July, 8 1968). Nina Simone File. Schomberg Center for Research in Black Culture, New York Public Library. Clipping File, 1925-1974.

Unknown author. "Drive Us Mad Nina" in New York News (c. 1980). Nina Simone File. Schomberg Center for Research in Black Culture, New York Public Library. Clipping File, 1925-1974.

No comments:

Post a Comment